` Is There Compensation for Sewer Flooding? | Wildon (UK) LTD

0800 998 1374

Skip to content

0800 998 1374

Head Office 01889 529 234 / 01782 606 706

KSB logo Lowara logo ITT logo Constructionline logo British Water logo Klargester logo TT Pumps logo EBara logo
Water tank

Is There Compensation for Sewer Flooding?

Posted on July 4, 2016

A blocked pipe or a sewage water backup is a horrible situation for a homeowner to deal with, especially if the sewage water has caused damage to the outside or inside of your property.

If your home has been affected by sewer flooding, covering the costs of the damage can seem like an insurmountable sum, which often leaves people wondering if there is compensation for sewer flooding.

To help you understand your rights, Wildon UK have created a rundown of when you can and cannot make a compensation claim for sewer damage to your property.

When does a water company have to pay compensation?

If a public sewer floods and causes external or internal damage to your property, you are generally entitled to a refund of up to a year of your sewerage charges which can be anywhere between £150-£1,000. There are, however, exceptions to this rule from time to time – which we will discuss below – so it is best to inform your water company as soon as possible to discuss your eligibility.

If the flooding doesn’t affect your main building and has only caused damage to an outbuilding or outside land, you’re entitled to a maximum refund of up to 50% of your total annual sewerage charges, which can be anywhere between £75 and £500.

If after you have made your claim you do not receive a refund within 20 working days of the flooding, you can receive an extra £20 per incident.

When does a water company not have to pay compensation?

There are occasional exceptional circumstances which void a water company’s obligation to pay insurance, which are as follows:

  • Exceptional weather conditions
  • Industrial action by the company’s staff (a strike, for example)
  • If the flooding was caused by a problem with your own drains rather than public sewers
  • If a public sewer has flooded because of your own actions

You should also bear in mind that you must be able to prove that your property was in fact affected by the flooding. For this reason we would always advise that you contact your water company at the first sight of water damage, and it is always a good idea to take photos of the flooding and the resulting damage. If you can’t prove your water damage claim, you will not be issued an automatic refund and will instead be required to make a private claim within three months of the incident.

Claiming on your building insurance

As well as seeking out compensation from your water company, you should also make a claim on your building insurance to ensure that you receive enough funding in total to repair the flood damages to your property.

Wildon UK offer first rate emergency sewage repairs and maintenance throughout the UK, ensuring that your drains are running quickly and clearly to prevent drains backing up and floods damaging your home or business. Our team are well experienced and fully qualified, and with our state-of-the-art equipment we’re guaranteed to solve your drainage problem quickly and efficiently. Get in contact today for more information; we’ll be happy to assist you in any way we can.

Go back to

Speak to our friendly consultants today, call: 0800 998 1374

Farm Slurry Systems

Learning to manage animal waste efficiently forms part of helping your business to grow and flourish, as you draw on resources that are readily available, and farm slurry systems provides the ideal way to achieve this. Read More »

  • Design
    As wastewater specialists, we can design a system that is tailored around your individual needs.

  • Supply
    Once a design has been created we will supply and install it safely at your premises.

  • Maintenance
    We are on hand to carry out any maintenance duties to avoid unwanted problems in the future.

  • Repairs
    Our wastewater engineers are highly trained to perform any repairs necessary to keep your system working efficiently.

Wildon (UK) Ltd is a registered company in England. Registered Number 5759940 VAT Number 217 95 81 80