Christmas time is upon us, and we hope your festivities are filled with laughter, family and great food.
We know that your sewage treatment plant will be the furthest thing from your mind during the holidays, but with people coming and going into your home, it’s important to remember the rules that keep your sewage system functional, safe and healthy.
Let’s hope for a white Christmas, not a brown one.
- Think before you sink — only ever flush organic matter or toilet paper down your toilet.
- Try to minimise your use of cleaning products so that your sewage treatment plant doesn’t become overloaded.
- A lot of food means a lot of washing up — use liquids instead of powders in your dishwasher. Powders can re-coagulate into clumps and cause blockages.
- Desludge your plant as and when required.
- If you’re away for Christmas, remember to leave your plant switched on. Switching off your plant for an extended period of time can damage the motor and other moving components.
- Compost all your organic food instead of flushing it.
- Don’t pour oil down your sink. It may seem like a liquid, but oil will harden and cause blockages. It also suffocates the bacteria in your treatment plant and inhibits the biological process which breaks down the sewage.
- Never flush non-biodegradable products down the toilet.
- Don’t use disinfectant, bleach or any other hard chemicals. These can restrict the biomass growth within your sewage treatment plant.
- Don’t dispose of milk, wine or beer through the wastewater system. These products can increase the organic load.
- Don’t pour paint, white spirit, or any car fluids down your drains.
- Prevent rainwater or groundwater from getting into your plant. Excessive water will increase the flow rate through the plant, preventing effective treatment from taking place.
- Don’t increase the organic load of your plant by disposing of organic matter through the treatment system. This includes fitting a waste disposal unit.
Wildon UK hopes you have no problems with your sewage treatment plants this Christmas. But if you do suffer an issue with your wastewater, we’re here to help. Our 24-hour emergency service means we’re here to help you — even over the Christmas period. We provide a comprehensive range of services to treat any issue you might be facing. Whether you have a problem with your septic tank, farm slurry, or any other system, our team will fix it efficiently and effectively.
Have a great Christmas from everyone at Wildon UK.
If you’re in Stoke-On-Trent, Staffordshire, or the rest of the UK, get in touch with the Wildon UK team. We have over 20 years’ experience in the industry and provide a full range of culvert cleaning and maintenance services.
With specialist equipment and a 24-hour emergency call-out service, we’ll be there day or night to ensure your culvert is functioning correctly. Get in touch with our team to find out more.
Go back to